Oftentimes, the terms that were entered in an initial action need to be modified to reflect the current situation. A modification may be sought every two years, or if there has been a “substantial change of circumstances.” The term “substantial change of circumstances” is not defined, and can therefore include a wide variety of possible changes, such as a new work schedule, a parent’s relocation, a child entering or changing schools, or a change in the financial situation of the parties or the needs of the minor child. Whether a change qualifies as a “substantial” change of circumstances is determined on a case-by-case basis. Since there are so many factors that may sway a decision, it’s important to have a dedicated attorney by your side. It is also important to note that you can modify custody, parenting time, child support, and alimony (unless the parties agreed to waive their rights to a modification of alimony), but Georgia does not allow for modifications of property settlement. Call Emily Yu today to go over your case and address any questions you may have about the modification process.


Reach Out to Emily